Wednesday, November 23, 2005

An Aging Potato Masher

I've been around long enough to see many sizes and varieties of spud/potato/murphy, whatever you want to call em, and I've found them all different upon cooking/tasting. Some are tasteless, some have eyes that wern't there when first placed in the pot and some, well some just deserve a darn good mashing! So over the years I have variously mashed with a stainless steel masher, some with holes in em and some had aWlook to them but now I use a plastic one and it's a wee beaut, well so I thought. But after all these years of presuming I had acquired a nack with the spudata's mashings my son tells me his friend's mum makes the most delicious mashed potatoes and she uses lots of butter, milk and finishes her mashing with a good fork whip-around! I was hurt, I was, I just said, quietly to sonshine, Well, I have mashed many a spud in my days and I used to use the fork, the dollops of butter and much cream as well as milk in them but, now I am an aging potato masher, doing the mashings well past my prime and so, if you want that type of mash then do it yourself....oh no mum, said he, they're still edible and that's good enough for me.

No comments: