Wednesday, May 23, 2007

And I'll Wear My Morning Pants

When my kids played up at school I'd threaten to go to their classroom and sit there all day long in my green stretch morning pants. They were the especially ugly but very comfy, tight-fitting, stretch honeycomb- patterned pants that I mosttimes threw on in the mornings, especially in winter. I'd watch their faces when I would say it and could well imagine the picture in their minds of me sitting there in their classrooms with their mates sniggering at their mum wearing the grotesque pants...well it was too much for them to imagine and I never got any more complaints from their teachers for a couple more months.
I was reminded of this recently when a friend passed away.
She was a wonderful lady with a beautiful heart. She just shone. She had a terrible life though, yet you wouldn't know it. When I met her mum I realised she was all that was wonderful about her mother. She told me once about having to drive her kids to school in the freezing cold of a winters morning. She had on her dressing gown and shoes and let off the kids at the gate. On her return trip home the car, always running on the $10 tank of gas, ran out of petrol on the busy bridge near her home. Typically of my friend, she just did what she had to do and got out and waved down some help from a passing motorist. I can just see her in my mind..smiling her most gorgeous smile, head and shoulders back and looking all the while the lady in her old worn dressing gown. God keep Eire close to You.

No comments: